FARRAGOZ

FARRAGOZ
ON LINE OLD WORLD PATINA FURNITURE PAINTING CLASS

The Studio on the Lake in Tennessee

The Studio on the Lake in Tennessee
The Studio on the Lake in Tennessee

Pinterest

Follow by Email

Monday, July 8, 2013

Begonia!



Begonia!

Sometimes, you just know what the name of a piece is going to be before you start.

I like to say my pieces I work on, "talk" to me.  I am sure you decorative painters know what I mean.  This was definitely one of those chats.  This desk was in need of a redo for sure.  I wish I had a "before" photo to share with you.  It was evident this was a sturdy maple piece from the 20's or 30's.  I wanted to honor the wood tone and redid the top with a natural finish.  I did put a walnut stain into the wood and finished it with several coats of polyurethane.  I figured this would give a durable finish in order to protect it from use as a desk.  I then proceeded to make my own "chalk" or clay based, paint.  This is not for the faint of heart, I can assure you!  I measured carefully into a large mason jar two tablespoons of non sanded grout.  I mixed with water to a creamy consistency, and then added my cup of paint.  I had a flat finish latex that was a Martha Stewart color from her old line at Home Depot.  The color was Pumpkinseed.  I thought it would be perfect as an accent to the hardware I found at Anthropologie.  As this project required several applications of my homemade "chalk" paint, I kept careful notes of how much paint vs. grout vs. water.  I did have to remix once.  After a day or two, my homemade "chalk" paint resembled jelly more than paint.  There are other recipes, this was the one I started with, and I will try more and maybe even this one again.  However, now that we are carrying the Paint Couture Line of project paints, that is giving me all the tools I need to do the finishes I want to do.  You can find out more about that line of paint at www.theblueheronstudio.com.  if you like.  


I did finish the entire project with two coats of Miss Mustard Seed Furniture Wax which goes on like butter.  We also carry that line at The Blue Heron Studio's website.  I used clear as I wanted the foliage green of the color to stay true.  For a pop of color, I finished the inside of the drawers with a bright color that I had mixed off the color of the knobs. 

  As I am doing some new items with metallic finishes and glazes, these mercury glass knobs will probably show up on a redo soon!  The knobs at Anthropologie can be pricey, so I try to wait till I have a coupon or some free shipping, etc. offer.  They are beautiful and inspire a lot of dreaming!
I am sorry that I have not posted in a while, but I have been busy working on many new items to share with you, and hopefully will be a better blogger!  

Remember, go out and have some fun, and "If it stands still, Paint It!"


No comments:

Post a Comment