Great Little Cabinet

Not too sure what you would exactly call this cabinet ,(wash stand??) and I do wish I had taken a "before" picture, but I promise to do better in the future.

I tested a tip our house painter shared with me.
This cabinet had marks on it from an ink stamp.  Black marked "Paid" was very visible and there were multiple water marks. The top was a mess but the rest of the wood looked so nice, I decided not to paint which I normally do.  So......I used the denatured alcohol.  I did test it on a spot that was unnoticeable.  Our painter said if it did not soften the finish, it could be wiped on, and it could take care of many blemishes.  After the test on the underside of the top, I closed my eyes, and went with it!  It looked milky but the ink did start to clean up.  I kept on, all the while looking for it to soften the finish.  As it did not, I kept going.  I then took some dark Old English furniture restorer and put it on fairly heavy.  I wiped it off with a soft cloth and then reapplied it with a triple 0 steel wool pad.  I repeated this at least two more times.  When it dried for over two days and did not change back to the damaged areas, I polished it with a Miss Mustard Seed Furniture Wax and Polish and buffed it.  So pleased to say it did come out very nice.  It also has the original pulls which really add a lot of charm to the piece.  It is now ready to go to a new home from our booth 72 at Antiques on Main in Gallatin, Tennessee, close to Nashville.

 
 
 
 
 
We had such a nice day, and it felt good to get a lot accomplished.  I will have more to share with all of you later.  We were able to clean the Davis Cabinet Furniture Set and now have it and the small hutch for sale at the mall as well, along with other interesting small items.  If you are in the area, please stop in and enjoy a step back in time!
 
Now we are waiting for a rain snow mix for our general area in the Upper Cumberland.  Probably Saturday will be a good day to stay in and clean up the work area!!
 
Have a great weekend and stay warm:)
 

 

 

Comments